Eco-friendly beach erosion control
The PEM System is an Eco-friendly beach erosion control technique, that has been used world-wide for more than a decade.
PEM may be used in combination with beach nourishment to retain sand, or as a stand-alone solution if enough sand is available in the beach eco system.
The PEM System…
- Uses no power or other energy during operation
- Has no known effect on flora or fauna or wildlife
- Creates no scarps/sand walls
- Causes no down-drift erosion
- Adds sand to the beach that is similar to the original type of sand
- Operates under the sand and is invisible to the beach visitors
- Is robust. Independent modules require little maintenance
- Makes no change to surfing conditions
PEM restores and enhances the beach’s ability to drain. More water will drain through the top layer of the beach causing extra sand grains to be deposited on the beach rather than pulled away by the waves. Sand will be transported by the wind further onto the beach and the dunes. Gradually the beach will grow.
The cost of using PEM is lower than traditional erosion control. Many more miles of beach can be protected for the same amount of money.