Benefits of the PEM system
The PEM system is a “soft technology” that retains sand and further attracts sand from the littoral drift resulting in a higher and wider beach. It can be used as stand-alone solution or in combination with beach nourishment.
The PEM System
- Has no pumps and uses no energy.
- Supplements the beach with sand very similar to the original type of sand.
- Will not result in down-drift erosion.
- Will not create scarps/sand walls.
- Has no adverse environmental effects as the vertical tubes are below the sand level on the beach. They do not present an obstacle to turtles or people.
- Works even better during storms.
- Is very cost-effective compared to other coastal protection and enhancement methods.
In combination with beach nourishment
- Less sand is needed for re-nourishment as the sand stays.
- Re-nourishment frequency can be reduced.
- The beach can be made wider with a gentle slope.
- Blocking of inlets, harbors, etc., from surplus sand will be minimized.